Monday, August 18, 2014

Painted desert lace shawl


I knit a shawl back in 2002 that had me swearing up and down the beaches of Block Island as I dropped numerous yarnovers and attempted to rip out rows that were 300+ stitches long. It was a beauty, though, and one I wore almost daily for many, many winters. As said shawl has become mangy in the intervening decade-plus, I wanted to make a new one that would preserve its best qualities - a dash of color in the winter, a flexible triangle shape for various drapings and knottings - but without all the vacation cussing. 

And so, here is the Painted Desert Lace Shawl!



I saw this on display at Webs and decided to have a go at it in a different colorway. It was easy to knit (although I thought I was knitting up and not down for most of the project! Luckily this did not matter...) and the yarn was a pleasure to work with. The yarn softened up nicely in the washing and straightened up well for the blocking. With my sole skein, I was able to knit the shawl exactly as described and pictured. My only concerns are that I have some curling at the edges where I cast off and I wish it were a bit bigger, since it's a tad bit short to knot it in the back after draping the point down my back and bringing it around the front. 

Ready for winter now but happy to wait several months for its arrival!

No comments: