Monday, August 18, 2014

My Turn: Schoolhouse Tunic

Everyone and her auntie has made the Schoolhouse Tunic, and now it's my turn. My sis got me the pattern a few years ago when I started to make tunics, leggings and boots my teaching uniform. While I've found a few good narrow-wale corduory tunics on sale at Boden, I really want to make my own great ones. How hard can it be, right? My standard favorite has been the Lisette Portfolio tunic but I still find it challenging to identify patterns that make this great garment the way it should be - close-fitting, flattering, long-sleeved, and tush-concealing. On the latter point, I want to be more specific: absolutely no visible derrière, but also no fabric bunched up above said location.

I chose some koi voile in plum by Rashida Coleman-Hale, which features many of my new and old favorite colors: navy (new to me this year), fuschia (beloved since second grade) and puce/chartreuse (wonderful but hard to purchase accurately since I mostly shop online). What a winning combo! The deep colors offset the sheer nature of the fabric in a great way. For some reason until now I've mostly purchased voile and lawn in very light shades.

Having just been burned by sewing a too-small sleeveless top, I tried to be unstinting with my true size and made the 6/8. It fits like a small pup tent. But doesn't it look great on the hanger?






No comments: